Hi Christophe,

To build on what Ben was saying, a lot of the JAR files that are
produced by the build are already packaged as OSGi bundles. However,
most of them will not load properly into an OSGi container because the
packages are not cleanly divided into separate JARs in some projects
(ie. opennms-services, opennms-webapp, etc).

Many of the core bundles WILL load properly. If you are familiar with
Apache Karaf, I recommend using it and loading up features from our
Karaf features XML repository. This repo is built in the
container/features project in the source. When you load "features" into
Karaf, it will load multiple interdependent bundles so you should be
able to see the relationships between all of the packages easily.

The largest roadblock to complete conversion to OSGi is converting the
"opennms-dao" project to a valid bundle. It has a large dependency list
and performs all database operations via Hibernate. The combination of
getting Hibernate, Spring (or replacing it with OSGi blueprint), and the
rest of the dependencies working properly in OSGi is the next challenge
in our conversion.

Seth Leger
The OpenNMS Group