On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 11:19 AM Antonio Borneo <borneo.anto...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > This file comes from https://github.com/riscv/riscv-opcodes. The
>>> LICENSE in question looks a bit painful as well. I'll see about including
>>> the license directly in that header file as a string, so it's present in
>>> the source and could be displayed in a binary.
>>>
>>> The best option would be to have directly the standard SPDX tag in the
>>> first line, but it's also ok having just a line reporting under which
>>> license this file can be used.
>>>

>> That license doesn't seem to be exactly a BSD-3-Clause. I'm not a lawyer
>> so I don't want to say the two licenses are equivalent, which I think means
>> we have to distribute the license verbatim.
>>

> There is an interesting list here
> https://spdx.org/licenses/
> They also have an online tool to check the matching license text, but not
> really well working.
> I have downloaded from their git the repo with all the licences in txt
> format and then grep in. It helped me to find some exotic BSD variant and
> GPL exceptions.
> If you prefer, just copy paste here the licence text, I can try to find
> it. Not a lawyer either...

Thanks. I dug through that a little, but couldn't find a license with a
matching disclaimer. I don't know if that matters. Here's the license of
riscv-opcodes:
Copyright (c) 2010-2017, The Regents of the University of California
(Regents).  All Rights Reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of the Regents nor the
   names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
   derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

IN NO EVENT SHALL REGENTS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT,
SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS,
ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF REGENTS HAS
BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

REGENTS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE AND ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION, IF ANY, PROVIDED
HEREUNDER IS PROVIDED "AS IS". REGENTS HAS NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE
MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

Tim