On Jan 19, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Uwe Hermann wrote:

Hi,

here's a short udev rules file for OpenOCD which I'm using in the Debian
package. It should probably be added to svn, together with some
autotools hooking so that it gets installed somewhere upon 'make install'
(or not, and leave that step to the user).

In the Debian package it ends up as /etc/udev/rules.d/ z60_openocd.rules.

The script makes plugged USB JTAG adapters belong to the 'plugdev'
group, so every user in that group can run openocd (no need to run it
as root).

So far there are three devices in the list, more could be added.

Uwe.

In terms of including this as part of OpenOCD, we suffer from supporting multiple platforms and distrubtions. The preferred install location for the udev script is likely to vary by distribution and it only applies to the Linux platform. Many other projects handle this situation by either including it in contrib and letting the package maintainer do as they wish or by establishing a special place for files related to Linux distributions (notably called debian in many packages). I'm ok with either but like placing it in contrib slightly more. As a platform-neutral project, I'd rather not call out any distribution by name and leave it up to the packager to figure out how best to include the contrib files. This also applies to things like the svf2xsvf converter script.
--
Rick Altherr
kc8...@kc8apf.net

"He said he hadn't had a byte in three days. I had a short, so I split it with him."
 -- Unsigned