Zach Welch wrote:
> * JTAG/TAP changes:
>   - use tap_set_state everywhere to allow logging TAP state transitions
>   + rework TAP state table (started by JW, but still needs work)
>   - update tap_get_tms_path API (suggested by DE)
>     - slow boat: add tap_get_tms_path2 and allow both for a while
>     - convert drivers that use old API over to the new one
>     - remove old tap_get_tms_path
>   - rename other tap_states to use standard JTAG names (suggested by ML)
>     - write script that automate production of the series of 16-17 patches
>     - produce and distribute current series against the current trunk
>     - distribute script so developers can use on WC through live commits
>     - make live commits after giving sufficient notice to others
>   - add TAP_UNKNOWN to augment TAP_INVALID? (suggested by ML/DH)
>
> * CFI:
>   + speed enhancements (posted Apr 22 by NC) (??)
>   - factor vendor-specific code into separate source files
>   - add new callback interface for vendor-specific code
>   - finish implementing bus width/chip width handling (suggested by NC)
>   - investigate/implement "thin wrapper" to use eCos CFI drivers (ØH)
>
> * JTAG Interfaces:
>
>   o FT2232 driver: (DH)
>     + integrate FTD2XX High-Speed Device Patch (JK+ZW)
>     - fix segfault from long scan chains (observed by DH)

I think (hope) this was fixed in 1527
>     - fix non-recoverability of cable connect/reconnect (seen by DH)
>     - cure buggy madness
>
>   o J-Link driver: (ZW)
>     + add state debugging (provided by JW)
>     - cure buggy madness
>     - test with known targets (i.e. working with other interfaces)
>     - test compatibility between v6.0 (yellow) and older units (e.g. v5.2)

I to have started to test JLink, to find some system in the problems
reported
>   - Do others need some help?  Probably....
>
>   - TCP driver:
>     - add TCP/IP client and server for remote JTAG interface control
>
> * Other Interfaces
>   - SVF/XSVF:
>     - pending tasks??
>   - SPI/UART emulation:
>     - (ab)use bit-banging JTAG interfaces to emulate SPI/UART
>     - allow SPI to program flash, MCUs, etc.
>   - SWD
>
> * Target Support:
>
>   - ARM11 improvements (MB?)
>     - fix single stepping  (reported by ØH)
>     - implement missing functionality (grep FNC_INFO_NOTIMPLEMENTED ...)
>
>   o Cortex A8 support (ML)
>     o add target implementation
>     - what else remains to be done?

This will take some time, tha A8 is a bit complicated and in a system
like the OMAP3530 it becomes downright fasscinating. No problems with
leisure time for the vacation.
This effort can benefit greatly from a general cleanup of the
(general)target and (specific) target implementation.  For instance the
run_algorithm stuff should be mostly common code in taget.c with a few
implementation dependent target->"alg helper function ... " calls  to
handle the differences.
>   + MC1322x support (JW/DE?)
>     - integrate and test support from JW (and DE?)
>     - get working with a known good interface (i.e. not today's jlink)
>
>   - AT91SAM92xx:
>     - improvements for unknown-board-atmel-at91sam9260.cfg (RD)
>
>   - STR9x: (ZW)
>     - improvements to str912.cfg to be more general purpose
>
>   - AVR: (SQ)
>     - independently verify implementation
>     - incrementally improve working prototype in trunk. (SQ)
>     - work out how to debug this target
>
>   - FPGA:
>     - improve things (??)
>
>   - Coldfire (suggested by NC)
>     - can we draw from the BDM project?  http://bdm.sourceforge.net/
>
>   - other targets?  (suggestions always welcome)
>
> * Debugger Support
>   - AVR debugging protocol.
>   - Keil AGDI interface to OpenOCD (submitted by Dario Vecchio)
>
> * Architectural Upgrades
>   - Allow N:M:P mapping of servers, targets, and interfaces
>   - loadable module support for interface/target/flash drivers
>
> * Test Suite:
>   - implement server unit tests
>   - implement JTAG core unit tests
>   - implement JTAG interface unit tests
>   - implement flash unit tests
>   - implement target unit tests
>
> * Hardware Tester:
>   - implement VHDL to use for FPGA-based JTAG TAP testing device
>   - develop test suite that utilizes this testing device
>
> * Build Systems (Autotools, CMake, etc.)
>   - add -std=c99 or similar build option
>   - investigate fixes to permit the use of -Wshadow
>   - change bootstrap to call 'configure --enable-maintainer-mode <opts>'?
>   - CMake:
>     + commit initial support
>     - vet by the community
>
> * Miscellaneous:
>   + continue to improve state and system debugging (from JW) (ZW)
>   - make JTAG and USB debug output a run-time configuration option
>   - review and clean up interface/target/flash APIs
>   - factor code to eliminate duplicated functionality
>   - overhaul use of types to improve 32/64-bit portability

target.c should be broken down inte smaller parts, something like (this
just an early suggesting)
* target_common (common functionality used in target implementations)
* target_command (the tagrget functions that interfaces to the command
interpreter)
*target_scripting (the C code that implement target functionality)

Avoid mixing tcl dependent code with "pure" C

Regards
Magnus