On Thursday 14 May 2009, Zach Welch wrote:
> One point to make here is the conflicting desires of a "release manager"
> and "developers".  At their extremes, the former would have us making
> stable releases every night, while the later would have us working madly
> on the trunk (and to heck with releases).

Not that much.  Any good developer is going to be very supportive
of (release) milestones; and too-frequent releases don't help
anyone, even an RM.  Releases are largely ways to get everyone
into positive feedback loops, and keep them there.  Without them,
it's just goal-less hackery.

All that's needed is to pick a target release period:  just how
frequently should there be new OpenOCD releases?

First one was late January.  Late June should be doable for the
next one.  That's five months ... maybe that's too long.

> We must find a happy medium
> so both processes can flow smoothly.  Mostly, this means empowering that
> individual to lead the decision to release and having the rest of the
> maintainers comply with the restrictions thusly imposed (merge windows).

I'd have said there needs to be enough of a team commitment
that supporting the RM's decision making for each release is
a complete no-brainer; and enough of a team that one person
doesn't need to be RM all the time.

- Dave