On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Duane Ellis <open...@duaneellis.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Last year (I think it was mid July) when JimTCL was originally being
> introduced to OpenOCD, we wanted to have some means to make the
> transition from "old commands to new commands" - work easily.
>
> At the time we made a collective decision to handle errors like this:
>
>    Example command line:  "foo bar dog cat frog"
>    First try the command "foo" -
>    If that fails, insert an underline:  "foo_bar",
>    I forget how "deep" we planned on inserting underlines.
>
> The plan was - to *CONVERT* all commands to JIM commands over time.
>
> It seems that decision UNDERLINE decsion is still causing much confusion
> today.  Case in point, the receint "ocd_mem2array()" problem
>
>> ocd_mem2array dataval 32 [expr "0x54011000 + 0 * 4"] 1
>> invalid command name "ocd_mem2array_dataval"

I'm thinking that the ocd_ prefix should go. It's just confusing.

There is an arp_ prefix for the tcl code that implements reset, but
I guess that could stay even if we remove the ocd_ prefix

> Perhaps - we should *REMOVE* this feature and *STOP* supporting this
> silent command transforming step.

With a little bit of care we can probably do this and fix a few
bugs & usability problems along the way.

I don't think it is necessary or worthwhile to break the syntax though.

Possibly we should consider removing the "arm7_9" command
prefix, but the "flash" prefix should probably stay.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services