On May 17, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Duane Ellis wrote:

I have an observation I'd like to confirm:  I missed the earlier email
traffic about "c99" etc - and all that sort of stuff.

In all cases is is my belief that the *ONLY* compiler that is used to
build OpenOCD is GCC, and nothing but GCC, period.

I suspect GCC is of some recent vintage - ie: 3.4 (cygwin) or later on
all supported platforms.

Is that a correct observation?
   Linux - Obvious.
   Cygwin - Obvious.
   MingW - Obvious.
   MacOSX - It's GCC correct?

Yes, it's GCC.  At least for now.  Soon it will be clang.

Is there any other compiler that is *really* used?  If so, please name
it. I don't think there is.

There have been attempts to use VC++.

If it is GCC, then tell me, why is C99 (a 10 year old standard) not the
default? Why is all GNU features not the default?

We're moving towards C99 being the default, but using GNU extensions is a bit much. I'd like to at least leave the option of another compiler.

Why "pretend" something else is going to be used?

-Duane.

Rick Altherr
kc8...@kc8apf.net

"He said he hadn't had a byte in three days. I had a short, so I split it with him."
 -- Unsigned