peter> In communication with Rolf Segger, who helpfully contacted me,

Thank you Mr Segger - your participation and help is quite great, I have
several oem versions of your JLINK, I have to say that your company
makes good stuff. Keep up the good work.

> I don't know how many versions in between are out "in the wild", and which
> ones do or don't require the fix. The question is, should we leave it in,
> or detect an older firmware and actively suggest an upgrade? The Linux
> update utility doesn't work - you have to do it in Windows.

I suggest the following:

This happens *ONLY* on power up.
Leave it, extra clocks here don't hurt, its done once...
Insert a comment that specifically refers to *THIS* thread on the
mailing list.
Issue a *DEBUG* warning.

Let's not confuse a developer who is using OpenOCD if we can "just make
it work".

Bottom line:
    "OpenOCD - should just work - out of the (virtual) box".

-Duane.