duane> [ajax]

david> Saying "AJAX" or talking about any other implementation tech
feels to me like putting the cart before the horse.

Correct, I should have given more examples.  What I ment was - 2 parts:

1) the GUI interface
        (a) could be built-in webserver + javascript (ajax)
OR  (b) could be built-in webserver + flash
OR  (c) could be Ecplipse + JAVA
OR  (d) could be  Tcl/Tk app

Perhaps the use of "ajax" is/was very premature - I really mean that
sort of concept, nothing more.

2) The backend part the above pieces talk to.
    It responds to commands.

=====

So what should we focus on?

(A)  Wizard type features to help *new*users* get started

    ie: Some "build a basic configuration file" tool.
    That could be *text* - ie: Answer questions, choose from a list.
    That's not 'inside openocd' - its more of a "text configuration file'

    Could be as simple as Perl CPAN - text mode
    Or as simple as Linux Kernel "make config" text mode.
    (vrs make xconfig, or make menuconfig).

(B)  Day to day operational features.

I think your view is more (A), and mine is more (B).

-Duane.