> Having said this I don't understand how you (or anyone sensible) could support
> violating licenses. Do you have the habit of breaking laws for the sake of it?

Please show me the exact lines in GPL v2 that _clearly_ say linking FTD2xx with OpenOCD is a violation of the license. If one binary version of OpenOCD can work without the library (using the other interfaces) and only enable FTD2XX support when the library is present there is NO issue. FTD2XX is NOT a derived work of OpenOCD so it should NOT be licensed as GPL, end of story! How did Java GPL applications work in the past then (before Java was open source)? It links to DLL's, a VM,... I couldn't  make modifications to standard Java classes either.

This has nothing to do with breaking the law for the sake of it, this has to do with people having hidden agendas and trying to hide behind the most gray are in software history. Be honest and tell us what this is all about.

> This is not a theoretic issue

I really don't understand how this is not a theoretic issue. Is someone getting sued? If not, it's theoretic.

> GPL is the license and it states that whatever you link
> against and distribute should respect GPL freedom

Again: show me the line in GPL v2. The whole license doesn't use the word "link" once. Don't even try to send a link to the FAQ, that's ONE interpretation, not legally binding whatsoever.

> You can do things about this, for instance persuading FTDI to free the
> FTD2xx driver source and relicense it with GPL

Good luck, they don't care.

> You wouldn't be able to do modifications on the FTD2xx library, so no point
> for this.

You also wouldn't be able to modify it using any of the options in the various threads. If you can live with working around the violation (at least what you interpret as a violation) then why bother? The end result will be the same: People will use OpenOCD and FTD2xx and FTD2xx will NOT be GPL. Why make it more difficult for people to do this?

> If you (or others) are so interested in a license change, then answer this
> questions:

Personally I'm not asking for a license change. My interpretation of GPL says linking to FTD2xx is not a violation.

> What I don't understand so far is why it is so important to add an exception
> to the license instead of:
>
> Improving free FTDI library

Please do, it'll take a long time as far as I understand the people who could know.

> Asking FTDI to release and free the FTD2xx library

Never gonna happen...

> Make people interested in running FTD2xx build his own copy/binary of openocd

That's actually what I do, I personally don't care about this discussion as worst case I'll build my own version. What does bother me is that other people will have to do the same and might not be able to. Also the risk is real that FTD2xx support will get lost over the years because nobody actively maintains/tests it as it's not an official feature.

gr.

Ronald