Hi Øyvind,

Originally I intended to let the discussion settle and see how things
develop. Looks like there are still misunderstandings and I can't resist...

Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> Under Windows an executable will fail to load if it links
> implicitly to a dll even if that dll is not used.

When using LoadLibrary, the executable will be loaded and will run, even
if the loaded library is not available.

> It's prefectly legitimate to have a GPL compliant dll that
> may not be present on the system. So far so good.

It's perfectly legitimate to _distribute_ a *GPL compliant* DLL with
GPL'ed executables.

It's perfectly legitimate to _run_ a *non GPL compliant* DLL with GPL'ed
executables. The intention of GPL is to explicitly give users the
freedom to use GPL software in any way they see fit.

> Transparent attempts at circumventing GPL lie down this
> same path, so keep your eyes peeled :-)

AFAIK, adding support for a non-compliant DLL in GPL code is not
circumventing any GPL clause that I know of, neither directly not
indirectly.

Harald