On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 12:50 +0200, Freddie Chopin wrote:
> Dominic pisze:
> > It isn't possible with the current ft2232.c code because it uses
> > conditional compilation to compile either with libftdi or FTD2XX. While
> > offering basically the same functionality there are not only syntactical
> > but also semantical differences. If ft2232.c was to support both
> > libraries in one binary there would be some rework required. I'm not
> > sure if that effort is worth it since ftd2xx might eventually go away in
> > the not too distant future.
>
> I never said that supporting both "drivers" at once is just a matter of
> removing these:
>
> #if (BUILD_FT2232_FTD2XX == 1 && BUILD_FT2232_LIBFTDI == 1)
> #error "BUILD_FT2232_FTD2XX && BUILD_FT2232_LIBFTDI are mutually exclusive"
> #elif (BUILD_FT2232_FTD2XX != 1 && BUILD_FT2232_LIBFTDI != 1)
> #error "BUILD_FT2232_FTD2XX || BUILD_FT2232_LIBFTDI must be chosen"
> #endif
>
> I know that the code would need reworking, but if the maintainers of the
> project don't want such changes that's fine for me. Maybe I didn't dig
> into the code enough, but I think that such reworking is not impossible,
> and not extremely hard.

Building both is actually a build system problem.  I believe the
automake documentation shows how to build a single source file using
different configuration options.... So, symbols similar to those you
show above would be defined as extra -D in the automake rules for the
targets.  I really think that this kind of rework should be fairly easy,
if time consuming to get exactly right.

Modular driver support _has_ been discussed in the past, to the extent
that it was put on the TODO list long ago. :)

Cheers,

Zach