On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Jon Beniston wrote:

> They need to be supported on both the host and the stub. GDB (the host)
> already has support, so it's just a question of adding support to OpenOCD
> (the stub).

    Host (GDB Client) --TCP/pipe--> OpenOCD --JTAG--> bare metal

If you're saying that the host should be able to provide binaries
or other data, instead of using $PWD of the OpenOCD server, I'd
tend to agree.  It's problematic that it uses $PWD, unless the
OpenOCD "--pipe" option is used to start (and thus GDB and OpenOCD
have the same $PWD).

> >  And I don't see a situation when OpenOCD would send those.
>
> OpenOCD would send an F/X packet when it detects a system call on the target
> and no O/S is running on the target.

This is what still makes no sense to me.  The target is "bare metal",
and likely has its own notions of what makes a syscall and how its
params get passed.

To handle syscalls ... use a GDB server (or stub) running native
in that OS.  Not on bare metal, not talking over JTAG.