On Friday 28 August 2009, Magnus Lundin wrote:
> So why this totally idiotic requirement on 72-80 columns ????

Far from "idiotic"...

It's a widely adopted policy which, among other things, supports
side-by-side display windows and two-column-per-page printer output.
In the same way, I've noticed many IDEs like to tile windows, and
that includes text edit or source stepping.  Long lines work poorly
there too; it's another case of not-enough-space.

Plus it has good side effects.  Indents stay more reasonable,
encouraging more modular code with more manageably bite-sized
functions; and there's less hassle reviewing patches.

If I were going to throw abusive words around I'd apply them
to lines so long that they *require* use of extra-large windows,
which prevent a lot of very common development techniques.

Say what you will about 80 character conventional line sizes,
but they aren't going to *FORCE* everyone else to adopt any of
the idiosyncracies of your particular work style and toolset.

- Dave