Neither of these methods apply to the initial jtag scan. At least not on
olimex dongle that I use.

I added this to my config
$_TARGETNAME configure -event reset-assert-post {
  puts "Assering reset"
  sleep 10000
}

This does not get executed on the inital jtag scan:

Info : Disabled memory write burst mode.
Info : device: 4 "2232C"
Info : deviceID: 364511235
Info : SerialNumber: FTPUDDCF A
Info : Description: Olimex OpenOCD JTAG A
Info : clock speed 100 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: c100.dsp tap/device found: 0x27b3645b (mfg: 0x22d,
part: 0x7b36, ver: 0x2)
Info : JTAG tap: c100.cpu tap/device found: 0x27b3645b (mfg: 0x22d,
part: 0x7b36, ver: 0x2)
Info : found ARM1136

I want the reset delays to apply before this message
The same applies to jtag_nsrst_delay
(it does gets execute with 'reset halt/etc' commands but it is too late
as the jtag controller got confused by errors from ARM processor.)

I wonder is this different on different JTAG controllers? Does your JTAG
controller implements various delays correctly? What it would take to
correct this?

type "help delay". You can control the delay after deasserting srst
/ trst.

Add "sleep N" to target's reset-assert-post event for a target and you
can lengthen the srst/trst pulse. There isn't a way to control the
width of those pulses individually though.