Just keep pushing. We are looking for a SoC for a new platform and we are
basically saying that only devices with OpenOCD support are considered.

> It would be nice to have support for other targets than ARM,
> and we're doing well w/MIPS, but we really need a significantly
> bigger community or direct support from hardware vendors
> (the gorillas get things for free, the chimps don't...) to
> boast equally broad MIPS support as ARM support. Either
> that or ARM support has to reach a point of maturity where
> MIPS can start to catch up. Then again ARM is messier

I don't know if MIPS is something to give much concern. IMHO MIPS is a dead
platform unless the PIC32 is catching on which is unlikely since ARM devices
are way ahead. Freescale's Coldfire would be much more interesting. I know
Freescale is having a very hard time selling the Coldfire due to lack of Open
Source tools support. The price of the devices is right, but the tooling is not.

> Eventually I hope that we'll be able to identify some killer
> features that closed source solutions just don't offer and
> that it will become uneconomical to implement from scratch
> for each JTAG debugger. I don't really know what those
> features might be though. Some ideas:

> - Threads support(e.g. eCos, FreeRTOS, etc. threads)
> - Profiling support(??) there is profiling support in OpenOCD
> now, but I haven't heard about anyone using it.
> - Connect up to other GPL code. We're already connected
> to GDB as much as we should be... What else?
> - Killer FPGA soft CPU workflow support(not quite sure
> what that means yet :-)

I think the best feature is that it just works. A lot of software does not have
that feature!

Nico Coesel