Hello Øyvind,

ØH> "Migrate away from Berlios" committe wants an alternative
ØH> to Berlios mailing lists.

ØH> Some alternatives so far:

ØH> - Set up seperate openocd.org server => not going to happen. We
ØH> don't have the resources and dedication to run it.
ØH> - sourceforge mailing lists apparently suck more than Berlios
ØH> mailing lists. I don't know why
ØH> - Google mailing lists are apparently better but I don't know why
ØH> - Yahoo is worse than google
ØH> Can someone do some research on what would be good to
ØH> use and explain a bit?

I guess I'll bite. Some of this can be wrong.

1) SF.net (info is kinda old, haven't been subscribed to any lists
recently):

software: mailman 2.1
email subscribe/unsubscribe: yes
footer added: yes, with ads (?)
reply-to: list
web archive: yes
spam: no idea
extras: all SF.net stuff

It seems at least some time ago it did callback verification,
which doesn't work with some emails:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/04/1324214

OTOH, UrJTAG seems to be doing okay.

2) Yahoo groups:

software: custom
email subscribe/unsubscribe: yes
footer added: usage; sometimes ads(?)
reply-to: list
web archive: yes
extras: file area, calendar, links, database, other crap

Used to bounce for me quite often a couple of years ago, doesn't seem
to happen anymore. Ads seem to be gone, but the large footer with ML
links can be annoying. Not sure if it's configurable.

3) Google groups:

software: custom
email subscribe/unsubscribe: yes
footer added: configurable
reply-to: configurable
web archive: yes
extras: pages, files, rss feeds

Can't really say much. Seems to work okay.

--
WBR,
 Igor                            mailto:skochin...@mail.ru