arm11 has a bug in that you cannot at the same time assert srst to the
arm11 core and access its JTAG logic. Asserting srst will disable TAP
logic.

My guess is that flops' reset pin in JTAG core are connected to srst.
It is unclear to me how long you have to wait after reset before
accessing JTAG.
It looks like srst puts JTAG logic into power-on-reset state.

There is another bug in the arm11 core. When you generate an access to
external logic (for example ddr controller via AHB bus) and that block
is not configured (perhaps it is still held in reset), that transaction
will never complete. This will hang arm11 core but it will also hang
JTAG controller. Nothing, short of srst assertion will bring it out of
this.

Hope this helps.