IMHO a GUI is a good idea but it has to be cross-platform. I have been
using WxWidgets for cross platform development for several years and I
must say the transfer between Windows and Linux is seemless.

I don't think a GUI is usefull for debugging because OpenOCD is a
man-in-the-middle. A GUI will be usefull though for testing setups and
flash programming. Console commands are fine for pro's but for a
beginner a GUI is much easier. Perhaps there should be a log window
which shows the commands send to OpenOCD.

Nico Coesel