What flash erase address range does is to a) identify sectors
within an address range b) erase all those sectors. There is
certainly nothing broken about a) and if I wanted to do b) then
there is nothing broken about that either.

At most, there could be a non-default option to flash erase_address
that would force non-sector aligned writes without complaints.

Non-contrived examples of elf images will never align to sector
sizes so issuing even a warning when running flash write_image
here is wrong.

Hooking up a JTAG debugger in the first place is "dangerous".

The whole point of flash write_image is that you can tell it
flash write_image dammit: unlock, erase, maim, whatever,
just do it.

Now, there is a small problem you pointed out: that two elf images
that are "too close together" won't work with the flash write
image erase option, but here the user can use flash erase_address
range in one pass and then multiple invocations of flash
write_image, so I think we should just ignore this problem
as we have up until now and nobody raised the problem.

--
Øyvind Harboe
US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 63 25 00