On Friday 29 January 2010, Laurent Gauch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We could think to replace
>
> kb/s
>
> by
>
> KBytes/s
>
> or
>
> kbytes/s

My vote:  spell it out.  And don't try to use the
widely-misunderstood "b"/bit "B"/byte convention.

> Or (and this is the best to use for me)
>
> kbps as "kilo bits per sec"
> mbps as "mega bits per sec"
>
> the kb is for bytes or bits ?
> the /s is used but it is not scientific ?
>
> So I vote for kbps and mbps instead kb/s for any datarate in the OpenOCD
> project!

My two cents:  bits per second is virtually never useful
except for telecoms work.  Bytes per second is preferred,
especially when people are working with files (which are
sized in bytes).

I'd rather see "kilo bytes" (KB) not "Kibi bytes" (KiB)
in such contexts too.  Kilobytes per second is something
I can often do math with in my head.  Kibibytes, not;
likewise kilobits per second.

- Dave