On Saturday 27 February 2010, Mariano Alvira wrote:
> > Well, "handy" doesn't seem sufficient to require everyone using this
> > chip to have that.
> >
> > This is however also sufficiently obvious (though I'd just "halt")
> > that most OpenOCD users should be able to whip that up easily.
>
> Nope. Only obvious if you've used OpenOCD a lot before. Most people
> get a new board, plug it in/hook it up and run openocd and say "now
> what?". It would be very nice to say back: "type mc1322x_run
> blink.bin".

There's a business in chip-specific LED-blinking systems??  ;)

To the extent that wanting to do something quickly is a common goal,
I'd say such answers shouldn't be specific to any processor or board,

If the docs are unclear that "load_image blink.bin" followed
by "resume <address>" is a good first step, then we should fix
those docs.  (Including pulling the <address> out of "blink.bin"..

> > Those are both issues.  But more to the point, not everyone using
> > OpenOCD will need or want that ... and anyone who does need it
> > can easily craft their own.
>
> Well, we are only talking about mc13224v.cfg users here --- and I'm
> pretty sure everyone of them is going to want that routine.

Maybe.  I really do have a hard time believing that telling them
to type two lines instead of one will hurt anyone ... however,
if the two lines are fully documented, but the one isn't, I think
the users will learn more easily from the two-line answer.

> There are similar things for loading/running uboot in sheevaplug,
> openrd. What's so special about uboot.bin? The answer is that it's
> handy to just type 'sheevaplug_reflash_uboot_env' and if you have a
> sheevaplug that's probably something you'll want to do a lot.

One thing that's different is that the Sheevaplug stuff is part
of the board-specific stuff and fits into the board manufacturer's
support story.  Like how to upgrade it with the latest firmware.

Your script on the other hand isn't updating firmware.

> The same is true here. If you are working with an mc13224v you are
> going to want to load an image to location 0x00400000 and run it --- a
> lot.

There are other things you'd want to do a lot; like making GDB do
that for you.  How do you know which of those things should be in
scripts that *every* user sees?

> But look, if it means you guys won't take it then I won't include
> it.

Someone else might take it ... but I won't.

> If that's the case though it would be nice to have a place for
> these sorts of "handy" and more UI oriented routines.

I referenced the section of the User's guide which talks about
such project-specific developer utilities.  Most developers start
to collect a set of things which fit into their particular work
patterns ... and a good place for them is in "openocd.cfg" for
that projet, or their own script library.

- Dave