On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.har...@zylin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Antonio Borneo
> <borneo.anto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> By a quick automatic analysis of OpenOCD code,
>> I have found ~300 global symbols that:
>> - or only have local use,
>>  e.g. add_connection() is defined and used in src/server/server.c only
>> - or are completely unused
>>  e.g. armv4_5_mmu_page_type_names[] in src/target/armv4_5_mmu.c
>>
>> Does it makes sense to submit patches to
>> - restrict visibility of local-only symbols by "static" keyword?
>> - remove unused symbols?
>
> That would be most welcome!
>
> I think the best way to proceed would be for you to create a patch
> series and break it apart in relatively small commits. That way
> we can do the trivial ones first and leave any problematic ones
> for later.

Ok, I will try to collect small set of modifications in separate and
"consistent" patches, e.g. only one .c file and eventually the
associated .h
This should also be easier to review.

Forgot to say that the analysis is simply based on "nm" on the object
files, plus a set of scripts.
This means that the analysis (and the result) does not include the
files not compiled because of specific flags passed to ./configure
So, the potential number of symbols unused or to be static-ized is even higher.

Best Regards,
Antonio Borneo