At 03:32 PM 9/3/10, Andreas Fritiofson wrote:
>>Annoying how? The flash IS at 0x08000000. Why would you want to link
>>your program to 0? That if anything would be relying on the aliasing.
>>Of course it works, otherwise the chip couldn't start, but does it
>>alias the entire flash and not just enough to cover the vectors? Two
>>years ago, the ST folks I asked didn't know the answer to that.
>>Perhaps it's clarified in the docs today.

I have found Flash-at-zero to be the common case for ARM7 from many vendors. Sometimes a register must be written to map the entire Flash at 0, more often 0 is the default. Perhaps this is not the case on Cortex - the STM32 is my only experience there.

My first test project for STM32 was an LED-flasher program that Olimex ships with their STM-P103 board. It links at zero. I do not claim that this is the best project in the world, but it will be the first one that many people see, and it will not work as provided.

The memory map diagram in the 3 June 2010 update to the STM32F103 datasheet labels the entire range 0 to 800_0000 with "Aliased to Flash or system memory depending on BOOT pins". Whether or not this is accurate, I cannot say.

My intent was to make it easier for people to get gdb and OpenOCD running. The volume of "how do I do it" traffic here and on SparkFun indicates to me that things could be made easier.

But if the change seems unwise to the expects, I am happy to withdraw my proposal.

Best regards, John Hartman