What I would hope for at this point is to have something
in the master branch that didn't disrupt the existing target/JTAG
operations, while making it possible to contribute piecemeal
improvements towards a maintainable SWD design.

Accidental regressions here and there that we are likely to discover
and can easily fix I'm not overly worried about sneaking into the
master branch.

We could create an swd branch, but I don't think the OpenOCD
community has the momentum to drive two branches forward
if this takes a few months.

--
Øyvind Harboe
US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 63 25 00