> > --- On Sun, 12/5/10, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have any objections to
> >> getting rid of the
> >> concept of a default JTAG clock rate?
> >
> > NO.  But let's see a proposed patch ... :)
>
> Could you clarify a bit what you are against?

I'll know it if I see it.  :)

My comment is mostly about being cautious and
complete.  ISTR seeing defaults get snuck in by
several channels (not just drivers).  Catching
all the side channels may be tricky, but leaving
a few could make other changes error-prone...

> A script which has no opinions or references to
> a JTAG clock is broken and needs user action?

That's a good start; we'd need to fix such
scripts (if they're in our GIT tree)
before changing current behavior.

Also, at which point does the runtime code check
to see if a rate was set?  best would be a "late"
check, shortly before e.g. a JTAG operation needs
to rely on a clock rate.  An *early*  test would
inadvisable; e.g. potentially preventing prep or
setup that didn't need to use the debug bus.

- Dave