On 04/26/2011 10:20 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
Here is an idea for a new feature: sw breakpoints in flash.

The way this feature would work would be to detect if
a breakpoint is in the flash region. If it is, a hw breakpoint
would be used until the hw breakpoints run out.

At that point the flash sector would be rewritten with the
sw breakpoint as required.

Sounds great in theory, but would it work in real life?
I doubt it: too many write operations, and they are way too slow for this to be useful.

I know there is some cortex-m3(and perhaps even vendor
specific???) flash patching hardware. What I don't like about
this feature is that it would be target and perhaps even
vendor specific. I like features that are general enough that they
will get a lot of testing exposure and use....
Right. However, I do think these are the only way to go if you want SW breakpoints in flash, so having support for flash patch units would be quite handy.
Otherwise, HW breakpoints are the only alternative that really works.

cu
Michael