I've been pondering adding a new target that would use a
gdbserver as a backend.

Here it would be possible to use e.g. OpenOCD's
thread support against commercial GDB servers that
add support for targets that OpenOCD does not (yet)
support.

This would of course open up for commercial JTAG
vendors to create closed source target support, yet
take advantage of OpenOCD. Some may have
strong opinions and feelings about this, but I don't
particularly care one way or the other, I'm just
happy to see OpenOCD used in more places.

I would like to see open source implementations of
target support, but if the silicon vendors have too
many layers of NDA, then I don't mind that obscurium.com
has to forego open source target support for their MCU.

--
Øyvind Harboe

Can Zylin Consulting help on your project?

US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 87 40 27

http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html
ARM7 ARM9 ARM11 XScale Cortex
JTAG debugger and flash programmer