oyvind>  - new files, except for config and macro files, must have the
oyvind> gpl 2 or later license header and it must state the copyright
oyvind> holder(you in this case).

richard>    I have been instructed we can only make the contribution if no
richard> explicit copyright claim is required. Is that acceptable?

In situations like this, the GNU people ask that the author place their work(changes) in the public domain, and disclaim copyrights to their work.

REFERENCE:

    http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html

The relevant text is:

Would you be willing to sign a copyright disclaimer to put this change in the public domain, so that we can install it in package?

I think that is exactly what "richard" is saying his employer (Qualcomm) wants him to do.

In the OPENOCD tradition, a post to the mailing list sort of "signs it", I don't think open ocd has ever requested physical paper.

In practice, I think that means that richard's work should say something like:

/*
 * This module written by:  Richard Uhler @ Qualcomm
* Both Richard Uhler and Qualcomm disclaim all copyrights to this work and * have placed this work in the public domain so that this work may freely be
 * added, or contributed to the OpenOCD project.
 *
 * -- If needed, the below might also be appropriate --
 *
* This work was based upon, or derived from the files: XXXX, YYYY, and ZZZZ
 * Which have the following copyright:
 *
 *     blah blah blah blah
 */

And IANAL ... so you might want to have appropriate people review this idea.

-Duane.