On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Spencer Oliver <s...@spen-soft.co.uk>wrote:

> On 5 August 2011 09:58, Andreas Fritiofson <andreas.fritiof...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> When I run git describe now I get v0.4.0-973-g0d7a948 rather than
> >> a v0.5.0-rc2-xxxx.
> >>
> >> Is that intentional?
> >>
> >> I think it's nice that we stick to v0.4.0-xxxx until v0.5.0-xxxx goes
> out
> >> of the door.
> >>
> >> I have no particular opinion, except it should be by choice and not
> >> by accident :-)
> >>

> > As I posted several times already, it's because the release procedure
> wasn't
> > followed in creating the rc tags and tarballs.
>

> I will agree that the release process has not been followed with
> regards to tarballs.
> However this is not the cause of Øyvind query - please see my previous
> email.

"Release tags are annotated, and so take priority with git describe."

Ok, but if the release script would have been used, the v0.5.0-rc* tags
would have been annotated. And they really should be, right? That's what the
script does, the 0.4.0 and 0.3.0 rc tags were annotated, and it corresponds
with Øyvind's initial expectation of a v0.5.0-rc2-xxxx output from git
describe.

/Andreas