In one sentence, as my preference for future extendability I have
chosen approach that involves modular design with external submodules
(just like in object programming) rather than extending one big
structure (i.e. command queue) like it was done before. This should
allow adding new functionalities easily and concentrate some people to
work on their dedicated modules rather than knowing exactly everything
about the whole code structure :-) Maybe bugs/features from one of
modules will also have less impact on other modules this way :-) The
good example here is the libswd or jimtcl itself that can be
automatically fetched from external git submodule repository and
provide some functionalities, while extending its functionalities does
not change the program code a lot, it provides some external
scripting, etc...

Best regards :-)
Tomek