On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 05:46:12PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 04, 2003, Michael Schloh von Bennewitz wrote:
>
>> >Why do they conflict? Sure, both provide DNS, but a Conflicts: header
>> >should be IMHO only applied if _FILES_ of two packages conflict. Not if
>> >the purpose of the package conflicts. Same for teapop IMHO!
>> >
>> Like I said, I'm happy to change the policy if you want to redefine the
>> purpose of our 'Provides' and 'Conflicts' fields. So I assume your vote is to
>> ignore the 'Provides' field, and mark conflicts only to packages with
>> conflicting files. That would be two and a half votes then.
>
>IMHO "Provides" is a high-level/purpose/feature-set thing meaning
>another package can _USE_ any package which provides the feature.
>"Conflicts" is a low-level/files-related thing meaning only one package
>at a time can be _INSTALLED_ within a single OpenPKG instance. Hence I
>vote for backing out the bind, teapop, etc. patches from today.

There's a conflict if two packages would normally try to bind to
the same port(s) (e.g. as in postfix/sendmail,ssmtp,exim).

SuSE 8.1 uses some generic Provides (e.g. smtp_daemon) which
address services provided rather than files.  I've modified the
openpkg SRPMS for postfix that we use here to build a spec file
for /bin/rpm on SuSE 8.1 that Provide(s) smtp_daemon, Obsoletes
postfix, and makes symlinks for /etc/postfix, /usr/lib/sendmail,
and /usr/sbin/sendmail into the openpkg instance.  This /bin/rpm
specfile is then built and installed in %post processing in the
openpkg specfile.  This prevents SuSE from reinstalling postfix
automatically when doing /bin/rpm updates because other /bin/rpm
packages require the ``smtp_daemon''.

Bill

``Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it's not one bit better
than the government we got for one third the money twenty years ago.''
    Will Rogers
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]