On Tue, Sep 16, 2003, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003, Michael van Elst wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > Database corruption usually occurs when the indexer is killed,
> > Berkeley-DB then gets quickly inconsistent and corrupted.
>
> We had yesterday some other brokeness in the index of CURRENT related to
> "apache". I've removed the index.current.cache on master.openpkg.org and
> it was regenerated. I've now removed it again in the hope the index is
> now regenerated again more correctly.

Problem persisted but is now fixed manually on openpkg.org for one time.
The index is not only broken if the indexer is killed but also when
two or more instances of the indexer are running simultaneously. We
schedule index rebuilds quarterly. This works most of the time. With the
current size of the ftp area a broken index cannot be repaired by just
deleting the cache. The next quarterly run will then start from scratch
which takes longer than 15min and the next quarterly run will launch a
second instance which destroys the cache again.

We have to find out what the best practice is to repair such damage in
the future.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Development Team, Operations Northern Europe, Cable & Wireless