Request 284 was acted upon.

     Subject: New openpkg-tool problem
  Requestors: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Queue: openpkg
       Owner: Nobody
 Transaction: Ticket created by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Time: Thu Oct 23 23:06:18 2003

I am getting inconsistent results when running "openpkg build" against the
same set of source files and same index file. The version of openpkg-tool I
am using is openpkg-tool-20030919-20030919.src.rpm.

My environment:
1) My own small repository of around 30 packages.
2) Some of these packages had already been installed at the time I ran
"openpkg build", some not.
3) I have a /.openpkg/build file that contains a number of options that
are enabled.
4) Some of the installed packages were originally installed with different
options than those now specified in the build configuration file
5) I built my index with: "openpkg index -r "PSR/Source" -o 00INDEX.rdf -i
/usr/psr.devel/SRPMS.orig/".
6) I create my build script with: "openpkg build -r
/usr/psr.devel/SRPMS.orig/ -A > buildrh9.sh".

If I simply run step 6 over and over, every 3-4 runs, I get a different
result. The less frequent result is more correct then the other, but is
still not completely correct. Specifically, those packages that are now to
be rebuilt with different "with_xxx" options, are not consistently picked up
as candidates for rebuilding, and some are never picked up.

See the two attached files. In the one called buildrh9.sh.caughterror,
openssh is detected to need rebuilding, but in the other file it is not. And
in neither file are openldap or openssl detected as needing rebuilding,
though their build options have changed. I had to uninstall those 3 packages
to get a correct result from the openpkg tool.

I believe that someone reported inconsistent results before, so perhaps this
is the same problem.

Also, why does the build tool report:
# ATTENTION: openpkg has no upgrade path
# ATTENTION: OpenPKG has no upgrade path

Thanks,
       Dennis

Dennis McRitchie
Research & Academic Applications Support (RAAS)
Academic Services Department
Office of Information Technology
Princeton University