On Tue, Dec 30, 2003, Bill Campbell wrote:

> [...]
> I'll be looking at this in more depth later today as we're implementing
> this at one of our larger ISP customers.  Looking at the spec file and
> having thought a bit more about ownership and permissions, I do have some
> comments:
>
>   1.  Where does one find speclint, and perhaps a prototype spec file with
>       all possible options/sections defined?

speclint is a companion tool to openpkg-dev which we developers use
as the OpenPKG development shell during packaging. You can find it
in the openpkg-re/ module of our CVS. Sorry that there is still no
documentation available on how to use this as a contributor. If your
.spec files pass "speclint" you have a lot more chance that it more
easily can be taken over into the OpenPKG CVS repository and maintained
by us.

>   2.  The %{l_prefix}/etc/rwhoisd directory should probably also have the
>       restricted ownership as rwhoisd appears to want to build database
>       files itself.  I'm also thinking of building a Makefile for that
>       directory to facilitate updates after changing data files.

Hmmm... and it writes it directly below %{l_prefix}/etc/rwhoisd/? Can
it be redirected to %{l_prefix}/var/rwhoisd/ for writing those files?

>   3.  Given that there is always considerable editing required for the
>       rwhoisd files for any given installation, I would prefer not to
>       create any configuration files automatically except perhaps in %post
>       processing to create initial files from the samples directory.  This
>       isn't a program that one just drops in and expects to work without
>       extensive preparation.

Well, I fully agree that rwhoisd seems to require editing the config
files a lot. Nevertheless we have no packages in OpenPKG which just
provide templates ande copy them over in %post. Because this way
they are not %config files, etc. So, I think it is fully ok that the
rwhoisd.conf and the other rwhoisd.* files are already in place as
%config files, independent whether they need much or less editing. There
are lots of other packages which also require the same amount of similar
editing.

>   4.  I would like to see the samples and doc information including the
>       appropriate RFCs included, perhaps with an option, so the info is
>       available when editing the files.

The sample files are included, although directly in etc/rwhoisd/
instead of a separate directory. And the doc files I've now
(unconditionally because they are very small) installed into man/man8/
and share/rwhoisd/. Thanks for the hint.

>   5.  Looking at the patch file, I see that you simplified the varargs
>       patches.  I was tempted to do it that way, but didn't want to break
>       backwards compatibility on the off chance that it was being built on
>       an old system.

<stdarg.h> is plain ANSI C and <varargs.h> is already obsolete since
years. Some current platforms (like FreeBSD 5.2) even provide a
<varargs.h> which _breaks_ the building _intentionally_ with an error
message. In all packages where we replaced <varargs.h> we did it
unconditionally because in year 2003 this is fully acceptable and
sufficient. And especially it simplifies both the path and reduces the
requirements (autoconf).
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]