Hi,

I've uploaded the above 3 contributions. Here are the changes:

1) emacs: emacs segfaults when starting up in X mode if built with "with_x11
yes" on Solaris 9 with a recent version GNU ld. This is because a couple of
years ago, GNU ld changed the combreloc switch from being defaulted off to
being defaulted on. So now you need "-z nocombreloc" to build emacs with GNU
ld. Emacs had been patched to turn on this option for GNU/Linux and FreeBSD,
but not for Solaris. I have added to emacs.patch to provide this switch for
Solaris as well. Note that if you build on Solaris and use the native ld,
you must not use "-z nocombreloc" else you get a fatal error. I tried to
allow for this in my patch, but am not sure if I succeeded. However, I
passed the patch on to Richard Stallman, and he's accepted the it, so it's
probably the right way to go.

2)giflib: emacs requires libungif v4.1.0b1 or later. The package you provide
only has v4.1.0, which will be ignored by emacs. Toshio Kuratomi is now back
supporting libungif (as of a few weeks ago) and has already produced v4.1.1,
which incorporates v4.1.0b1, some subsequent patches that various packagers
have applied, and support for the latest libtool (so your libtool patches
are no longer needed). So rather than update the OpenPKG giflib package with
libungif v4.1.0b1 (which is already several years old), I used v4.1.1. Also,
Toshio has moved libungif to SourceForge, so I changed the URL. See
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libungif.

3) tiff: emacs looks for tiff header files in specified include directories
only. Since the OpenPKG tiff package put them in a tiff subdirectory within
the OpenPKG include directory, they were not found by emacs and therefore
not used. Note that both the RedHat 9 package and the sunfreeware package
places them in /usr/include and /usr/local/include respectively, where they
can be found by emacs. So I changed the package to place them where they are
needed. I saw that you provide 12 header files while the RedHat 9 and
sunfreeware packages only provide 4: tiff.h, tiffconf.h, tiffio.h, and
tiffvers.h . I'm not sure what the other 8 are used for, but I put all 12 in
the standard OpenPKG include directory. You may prefer to only put the 4
major header files there and leave the other 8 in the tiff subdirectory. The
same change may need to be applied to your newer v3.6.1 package.

And as you can see, I am not on OpenPKG 2.0 yet, so the spec files also
reflect that.

Dennis

Dennis McRitchie
Research & Academic Applications Support (RAAS)
Academic Services Department
Office of Information Technology
Princeton University

Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]