I'm working on packages to use with zope, and have got first cuts
on the egenix-mx-base utilities and psycopg, postgresql for Zope.

I ran into the same type of versioning problem building psycopg that was
mentioned in conjunction with autoconf, the configuration and Makefiles all
wanted to find %{l_prefix}/lib/python2.3.  I worked around it with
judicious use of "shtool subst -s" and "make VERSION=''", but this is
something of a PITA.

While I understand the philosophy of building without the release in names,
there are many packages that have the versioning built deep into their
autoconf, automake, and libtool files (in particular in the aclocal.m4
files often specify full versioning and some of the automake stuff gets
pretty strange -- can you spell amd :-).  BTW:  I'm building with all the
autotools from OpenPKG, so it's not getting anything from the base system.

It might be better to have symbolic links in the packages that would allow
the clean, version free style, as well as versions.

Bill

``The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of
one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that
oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the
beginning if it is to be stopped at all.'' -- H. L. Mencken
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]