> Yes, i saw your modifications to the php package, and i'm going to use it.
> Waited to ask why the change was not accepted until i really know, that
> it works.

Okay, thanks for the information!

> > So at this point I had decided not to make the changes. I was hoping to
> > be able to upgrade all of our apache instances to apache2 with in the
> > next 6 months anyhow. But that doesn't solve the issue of requires
> > statement.
>
> But then, one could work with a virtual package. The packages require e.g.
> HTTPD and apache as well as apache2 provide it. They would also conflict
> "automatically", then. But i could not make this suggestion, because David
> told you need both apaches in parallel.

A virtual package seems like a good idea for solving the requires problems. I
just don't see a great way to deal with using both apache and apache2 at the
same time.

Right now we require apache2 only for one server and we just deal with that as
a one off case. As I mentioned before we should be able to use apache2 for
all of our webserver instances within the next six months. Apache 2 and the
pre-fork mpm seem to be pretty stable on *NIX. So dealing with the one off
for now isn't too big of a deal. I suppose that doesn't help other people
that do need it though.

Mark Keller
Systems Administrator
Portland State University