On Mon, Mar 07, 2005, Michael van Elst wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:18:03PM -0800, David M. Fetter wrote:
>
>David,
>
>> Restarting AMD while it is in use is a serious problem.
>
>restarting AMD is usually not a problem. You should use
>the restart_mounts option or you have to clean up the
>mounts yourself. You should not use the unmount_on_exit
>option because unmounting might not work if a filesystem
>is busy.
>
>> Since amd has
>> low level hooks into kernel space, if users or processes happen to be
>> using an area that is automounted via AMD and it restarts on them, it
>> basically can cause the entire server to come to a crashing halt.
>
>Areas that are automounted are conventional mounts that are not
>affected by AMD. AMD just provides links and, unlike autofs,
>doesn't hook into kernel space.
>
>More of a problem are NFS servers that do not respond. This may
>freeze amd when it tries to unmount such a server and often causes
>large delays when it tries to restart an existing mount to
>such a server. If you automount /home or use an automounted
>directory accessed in the shell profile you may not be able
>to log into the server anymore.

I've seen problems with Linux servers with multiple IP aliases on the
interface where some Mac OS X systems couldn't connect.  Doing some
sniffing, I found that the Linux server, for some odd reason, was replying
with UDP packets from one of the alias addresses, not the primary (eth0)
address.  My fix was to force the Apple to use tcp, which is probably more
efficient in any case.

Bill

``Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation,
that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the
difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own
direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense
be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted
with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?''
    -- Patrick Henry June 9, 1788, in the Virginia Convention on the
    ratification of the Constitution.
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org