I found a problem with apache2 and the with_shared_core option enabled. I
wasn't able to successfully compile several DSO modules with apxs. PHP and
mod_dav_svn worked fine, but mod_pubcookie and suphp at least were having
problems. They wanted to build as mod_modulename.a instead of
mod_modulename.so. The problem seems to be with the "--disable-shared" option
that is used by openpkg. That seemed to turn off building shared libraries in
the libtool that apache2 distributes,
%{l_prefix}/share/apache2/build/libtool.

I have submitted a new apache2 spec file that modifies libtool to fix the
issue. Now the modules are being built with mod_modulename.so.

I have also submitted a bug report at httpd.apache.org. This seems like a bug
to me. Apache 1.3 did not have this problem.

Thanks,

Mark Keller
Systems Administrator
Portland State University