On Wed, Aug 17, 2005, Bill Campbell wrote:

> [...]
> If there's a pressing reason for someone to use non-standard ownership,
> they're free to modify the spec file and rebuild for their local use.
> [...]

Oh, yes, indeed. Thanks for the hint, Bill. I've totally overlooked
that this is also possible here -- and IMHO adequate for this local
situation. People just have to understand that for cleanness reasons we
should not add hooks and hacks into OpenPKG to solve every non-standard
problem.

But we should at least better document or automate the process of
performing local changes and maintaining them. Perhaps if it is more
straight-forward and easy for local admins to apply and maintain their
local adjustments their life would be easier and the pressure onto us
for including those hacks is reduced, too. So, we perhaps should provide
a Wiki page or whatever which shows the local admin how to use Anon-CVS
for checking out the sources, rolling their own adjusted packages and
maintaining their changes by stepping from release to release via "cvs
up -rOPENPKG_X_Y_SOLID" and merging potential conflicts.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org