Hi Ralf,

I'm responding to the list in case this helps someone else.

I actually had to check in /v/openpkg/bf/arc/OpenPKG_2.5/log to find the
right build, but I found the problem. We are building openssl with
"with_zlib" enabled, and that is setting up the unresolved 2nd-order
dependency in openldap (i.e., openldap knows it needs openssl, but does not
realize that this implies it also needs zlib). Having gotten past this
problem, we have encountered the same problem building perl-www which also
needs openssl, and hence zlib. (We built with the same options when we built
OepnPKG 2.1, but for some reason did not hit these snags then.)

I have in the past encountered other examples of these 2nd-order dependency
problems (as well as other problems) when turning on "with_xxx" options that
default to off. What is the OpenPKG policy with regard to testing the
provided options prior to delivering a release? Do you simply guarantee that
the default set of options will build out of the box, but that turning on
any options is at the user's own risk? Or do you also test with, say, all
options enabled?

If it's the former, is this documented on the openpkg website?

I can sympathize if you only have the resources to test the defaults, but
feel that it makes the untested options significantly less useful, given the
number of times I've been bitten turning them on. But in any case, what
OpenPKG is committing to testing and not testing has to be clear to
potential adopters, I think.

Dennis

Dennis McRitchie
Computational Science and Engineering Support (CSES)
Academic Services Department
Office of Information Technology
Princeton University