While working on getting OpenPKG packages working under OS X
Tiger, I've found that a fair number of programs won't link
unless shared libraries are enabled requiring some hackage to the
spec files.

It seems to me that this in an architecture dependent problem,
and that some architectures (e.g. OS X) handle shared libraries
in a manner that avoids the issues relating to multiple instances
of OpenPKG.

I would like to suggest adding a macro to rpm, say %{l_config_shared},
that would be set on most architectures to ``--disable-shared'',
and would be used in the %build sections of spec files:

./configure \
    %{l_config_shared} \

This would solve many of the problems I've seen with OS X Tiger,
and I think would also allow local customization at build time
using --define or -D options.

Bill

My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photo
of the entire earth on it. On the back it said: ``Wish you were here''.
                -- Steven Wright
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org