I'm having problems getting openldap-2.3.23 working in a mostly Release 2.5
environment, SLES9-SP3 on Athlon-64 with db-4.3.29.0.  Basically I think
that the problems are BDB/Threads related, and I'm reluctant to start
flailing on this since chaning the BDB routines basically requires
rebuilding large numbers of packages that depend on them.

The CURRENT version is db-4.4.20.2 which generally means that lots of APIs
have changed which can cause problems with programs that haven't been
updated (minor programs like perl, python, mysql, openldap, etc.  :-)

The first problem that prevented openldap from starting at all was that the
db.spec file in 2.5 and CURRENT checks %{l_platform -p} and doesn't find
anything to match ``amd64-suse9'' so uses the default ``UNIX/fcntl''.
OpenLDAP won't start because with this setting it doesn't find fast
mutexes.

I hacked the spec file to add amd*-* with x86/gcc-assembly, which allows
openldap to start and build its files, but ldapsearch hangs forever.  After
running and hanging ldapsearch, the slapd process becomes immune to
anything short of a ``kill -9''.  The db-4.4.20.2 package has an
x86_64/gcc-assembly option, but when I try using that it gets an error.

If no --with-mutex is specified on this platform it defaults to the
configure process defaults to posix threads, but openldap fails with ``
unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemmented''.

I'm in way over my head when it comes to threads, mutexes, etc.

The only way I've been able to get openldap-2.3.23 working to the point
where ldapsearch runs to completion is to hack the spec file to disable
threads entirely which requires disabling slurpd as requires them.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it coses
when it's free -- P.J. O'Rourke
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org