Following up on my own post.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006, Bill Campbell wrote:
>I'm having a problem with a ThinkPad A30 running SuSE 10.1 and a mostly
>Release 2.5 system with some CURRENT thrown in for flavour.
>
>When logging in as a normal user via kdm and the kde desktop, the fonts
>aren't configured properly.  Every character is a little rectangle with
>nothing in it.  Logging in with some other desktops, failsafe, and others,
>works fine.
>
>X11 works fine on a mini-tower system with the same OpenPKG packages.
>
>The SuSE 10.1 systems are essentially identical except for some packages
>that are specific to the laptop.
>
>The packages on the Thinkpad were installed from binaries built on the
>mini-tower, and the CPUs are different which could be the source of the
>problem.  The Thinkpad is running ``Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU
>1.60GHz'' and the mini-tower ``AMD Athlon(tm) processor''.
>
>Does anybody have any suggestions other than rebuilding everything on the
>ThinkPad from source?

I rebuilt everything on the Thinkpad last night (9+ hours of
steady compiling :-).  That didn't solve the problem.

Digging in further, I found that the startkde process was pulling
in some shared libraries from the %{l_prefix}/lib directory that
were created resulting from a consistent typo I had made when
building on the AMD64 architecture which seems to require shared
libraries in some cases (it probably has something to do with the
-fPIC option that rpmtool generates on this architecture).

It appears that the xft package that was giving the problems on the
ThinkPad, or really fontconfig-2.3.91-2.5.0.src.rpm.

I can't test this on the Thinkpad as my customer picked that
machine up this afternoon, and the problem doesn't exhibit itself
on the SuSE 10.1 system I have here for development.

Bill

``A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch
manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.'' Robert Heinlein
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org