Following our regular four-month release cycle for OpenPKG community
distributions, the OpenPKG 2-STABLE-20061018 snapshot distribution of
the OpenPKG Foundation e.V. is approaching for landing in the OpenPKG
world next Wednesday.

Thanks to Christoph S.'s I&O department, all platforms on the OpenPKG
Foundation e.V. server cluster are fully up-to-date and in good
shape and thanks to Thomas L.'s E&P department the Build Farm (see
http://bf.openpkg.net/) is running on all of them since over one week
now. My R&D department has also already fixed a large number of packages
which got broken on some platforms. So, we are currently progressing
just fine and as planned.

But, as you know, the snapshot engineering of the non-profit OpenPKG
Foundation e.V. cannot be a full-scale release engineering and hence
we especially do _not_ try to fix just all packages on all platforms.
Instead we focus on CORE and BASE class packages only and can fix just
as much as the free time of the volunteering OpenPKG Foundation e.V.
members permit (for a full-scale release engineered distribution you
have to wait for the business product OpenPKG Enterprise 1 -- which will
be released by the OpenPKG GmbH soon, too).

So, anybody who has an interest in particular packages of the OpenPKG
community distribution to work on particular platforms, please have a
look at http://bf.openpkg.net/ and help my R&D department in fixing
those remaining issues for you. If you are a member of the OpenPKG
Foundation e.V. just commit your fixes to the OpenPKG CVS immediately.
Otherwise just send your patches to openpkg-dev@openpkg.org to be picked
up by a Foundation member. Well, as always in a contribution driven
community: "jump up and help to fix it or shut up and accept the status
quo" ;-)

Please notice that the OpenPKG 2-STABLE-20061018 distribution is
very important for the OpenPKG community as with it the old OpenPKG
2.5-RELEASE is finally discarded from the OpenPKG Foundation e.V.
security engineering schedule. So, for those who do not plan to
switch their production setups from OpenPKG 2.5 (or even older) to
the forthcoming "long-maintenance" OpenPKG Enterprise 1 release
distribution, a well-shaped OpenPKG 2-STABLE-20061018 snapshot
distribution is required to have a close upgrade path.

Yours,

Founder, President and                 Ralf S. Engelschall
Director Research & Development        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OpenPKG Foundation e.V.                www.engelschall.com
http://www.openpkg.net/                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org