On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:57:42PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > > Only RPMs of OpenPKG _releases_ are signed. The OpenPKG-CURRENT RPMs
> > > are not signed -- mainly because signing requires the OpenPKG master
> > > key which is not available all the time while developers working
> > > on OpenPKG-CURRENT packages. It is only available in the release
> > > engineering process.
> >
> > So, how can one validate a "current" package. MD5 sums _in_ the package
> > do not look very secure to me :)
>
> Yes, sorry, OpenPKG-CURRENT packages currently cannot verified at all.
> But perhaps we should create a less-secured GPG sub-key just for signing
> the OpenPKG-CURRENT packages on the FTP server?

Looking at the latest trojans, i think this is necessary.

> > Especially, what about openpkg-*.src.sh ?
>
> This is just a shell-script, you cannot add easily a signature!?

Sure. But then there should be a "very public" known key (on a web site
and so on, md5 or whatever) - i hope you're verifying your keys/checksums
on a very regular basis (at least daily, with tripwire or some such).
That the last stage installation requires root privileges makes the
packages a "valuable" target (at least). The world is bad.

   (mk)

--
Matthias Kurz; Fuldastr. 3; D-28199 Bremen; VOICE +49 421 53 600 47