On Thu, Nov 13, 2003, F. Even wrote:

> First off, I would like to say you guys have done an awesome job w/ OpenPKG.
> You have saved me lots of trouble having to upgrade my FreeBSD 4.0R box that
> is in a remote location.  The ports collection no longer works correctly,
> packages are hit and miss...but now OpenPKG to the rescue.
>
> I was trying to install sudo and it would not install due to a generic MTA
> dependency.  I have one of the latest snapshots of postfix installed on this
> machine from source, and do not need an MTA.

When you have to _install_ postfix, why don't you use the OpenPKG version ?

> I've seen some references to creating a "virtual package."  I've even found
> this:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openpkg-users&m=105800389211960&w=2
>
> ...but even with that and all of the documentation (Handbook/FAQ, etc.), the
> process for creating these "virtual" packages is vague at best.  I would be
> one of the very grateful OPKG users if this could be spelled out somewhere
> for someone who is not really a programmer, and can make only crude scripts.
>
> Could someone direct me to a tutorial/quicky FAQ item, something that tells
> me how to create a "virtual package" to meet the MTA dependency?

In the meantime, there is openpkg-import. The magic is just the
"Provides: MTA". When you installed postfix in sendmail compatibility mode,
then installing openpkg-import may solve your problem (but see above).

> Also.....given all the documentation, I still really have no clue how to use
> lsync.  Is there anywhere I can get more information using htat?  How does
> lsync fit in the process above?

AFAIK "lsync" is a tool to work with packages outside the OpenPKG hierarchy.
That means files not included in the RPM database.
The idea is to have each package in its own directory tree (e.g. by installing
like configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkgs/<package-name>). This is how i worked
in the past.
So each "package" has its own subdirs
    /usr/local/pkgs/<package-name>/bin
                                  /lib
                                  /share etc. etc.
And then there is another hierarchy e.g. under /usr/local where symlinks
point into the packages subdir tree
e.g. /usr/local/bin/bash        -> /usr/local/pkgs/bash-2.05/bin/bash and
     /usr/local/man/man1/bash.1 -> /usr/local/pkgs/bash-2.05/man/man1/bash.1
     etc. etc.
In your $PATH you have just /usr/local/bin.

Hmmm, hard to explain. Hope you got the idea - or someone else can explain
it better. "lsync" creates the symlinks from /usr/local/{bin,lib,etc.etc.}
into the package dirs /usr/local/<pkg>/{bin,lib,etc}, when i understand
right.

   (mk)

--
Matthias Kurz; Fuldastr. 3; D-28199 Bremen; VOICE +49 421 53 600 47