On Thu, Jan 08, 2004, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 08, 2004, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> Will the OpenPKG tool work against the system default RPM database or
>> does it always need to operate on its own database that it creates?
>>
>> If OpenPKG only works with its own database, does that mean that any
>> dependencies during build I would need to re-install them in OpenPKG
>> again even though my system already has them installed?
>>
>> A lot of package specs requires perl, python, gcc, glib2, etc....
>
>Yes, OpenPKG is intentionally a fully self-contained sub-system on top
>of your underlying operating system. One side-effect of this is that it
>operates entirely on its own database and cannot take vendor packages
>into account. So, yes, all dependencies have to be fulfilled within
>OpenPKG.
>
>On some platforms this might look strange (e.g. Linux where you usually
>already have lots of tools available from the vendor), on others it
>is essential (e.g. Solaris where you have mostly no additional stuff
>available from the vendor or at least not in versions you would like
>;-). But all this allows OpenPKG to be maximum independent of the
>underlying operating system -- which is a key design goal of OpenPKG in
>order to be a real unified cross-platform solution.

One important consideration on Linux systems is to insure that
the default root PATH does not include the OpenPKG directories.
This avoids problems with breaking the vendor's on-line updates.

We generally try to use OpenPKG for everything we support on all systems,
at least for the server applications (e.g. I'll let SuSE do the heavy
lifting for many of the desktop things rather than spend a lot of time on
them).

There are a few OpenPKG packages that require minimal modifications to the
system's RPM database.  On SuSE >=8.0, their postfix provides smtp_daemon
so if their postfix is removed, it will be automatically reinstalled by
yast2 unless there's a package that also provides smtp_daemon.

I've done some hacks on the OpenPKG version of postfix we use here to
install an openpkg-postfix rpm with /bin/rpm during %post processing if it
finds postfix installed.  The openpkg-postfix RPM is basically empty,
provides smtp_daemon, and Obsoletes postfix so its installation
automatically removes an installed version of postfix.

Bill

``During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes
a revolutionary act.''  --George Orwell