On Mon, Mar 15, 2004, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 15, 2004, Mike's List wrote:
>
>> I've installed OpenPKG 2.0 and some of the rpm binary successfully,
>> such as: apache, openssh, perl, and many more, but when attempt to
>> connect to these services, it's not available.  I've ran nmap locally
>> on the server and it shows all the ports open.  I've ran nmap outside
>> to the server, none of the ports show up.  Server is running on Sol9.
>>
>> Do I need to do something else in order for the software to work?
>> [...]
>
>Yes, all daemons in OpenPKG by default and intentionally because of
>security concerns listen on localhost [127.0.0.1] only. You first have
>to manually change their configuration to let them listen on other IPs.

Remember to do this by looking at the $prefix/etc/rc.d/rc.$package run
control file, and changing the appropriate variables in the overriding
configuration file, $prefix/etc/rc.conf, not in the packages run control
file itself.

One must look at how these configuration variables are used in the package
run control as some allow replacing the 127.0.0.1 with an empty string,
others require replacing it with an IP address (e.g. 0.0.0.0 to listen on
all ports).

Bill

Make no laws whatever concerning speech and, speech will be free; so soon as
you make a declaration on paper that speech shall be free, you will have a
hundred lawyers proving that ``freedom does not mean abuse, nor liberty
license;'' and they will define and define freedom out of existence.
        - Voltarine de Cleyre (1866-1912)